DG CRPF calls for operational preparedness

Fayaz Bukhari
SRINAGAR, Feb 19: A militant was arrested after he fired at the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) camp in Nawdal village of Tral in South Kashmir’s Pulwama district today.
A police official said that Mohammad Maqbool Ganaie son of Ghulam Mohammad Ganaie of Lam Tral fired at the 180 Battalion of CRPF camp at Nawdal today evening before attempting to lob a grenade.
The official said that a pistol and a grenade were recovered from his possession and no casualties were reported in the firing.
Ganaie had joined militancy in 2007 and later surrendered before security forces in the same year after remaining active for seven months. He was jailed for three years after his surrender but was released in 2010. Sources said that he had become active again and was arrested by the security forces today.
In the meantime, Director General (DG) CRPF K Durga Prasad who was on his final visit to Kashmir since he is due for superannuation on February 28 laid emphasis on operation preparedness and paid tributes to slain Commandant Pramod Kumar, who was killed in a militant attack last week.
A CRPF spokesman said here that while addressing the troops deployed in Kashmir valley, in an elaborate Sainik Sammellan at RTC CRPF Humhama, the DG paid rich tributes to Commandant Pramod Kumar and his likes in the rank and file, applauded the dare devilry of Commandant Chetan Cheeta who was injured during a gunfight.
“He emphasised on the preparedness of the Force for the tough days ahead, giving priority to equipping jawans for the emerging challenges on the law and order and terrorism fronts. He also discussed modernisation of Force and optimal efficacy of less lethal weapons,” the spokesman said.
He had lunch with the troops to boost their morale. The spokesman said despite inclement weather, an impressive Guard of Honour was presented to the outgoing DG in true traditions and customs of the Force.
The series of functions were also attended by top officers including ADG and IG (Ops) CRPF. “Later the DG also had a meeting with J&K Police officials before his departure to Delhi,” the spokesman added.