SRINAGAR, Feb 14: A 22-year-old girl today died in a devastating fire incident in Mehjoor Nagar area of Srinagar.
The girl, identified as Roshni Kour, was trapped in the bathrooms of her house when it caught fire this morning.
Locals along with firefighters rescued her and she was immediately shifted to SMHS hospital where she succumbed.
An official at Fire and Emergency Services said that at around 12:35 pm fire was reported in the three- storey residential- cum -commercial structure at Mehjoor Nagar area of Srinagar. “The cause of the fire could not be ascertained, but it claimed the life of young women. The three-storey building also houses marriage hall and a guest house”, he said.
Meanwhile, Former minister and MLA Amirakadal Syed Muhammad Altaf Bukhari expressed shock and grief over the incident and has asked the administration to take immediate steps for providing relief and rehabilitation to the affected family.
Extending heartfelt condolences to Darshan Singh who lost his daughter Roshni Kour, 24, in the unfortunate incident, the former minister asked Deputy Commissioner Srinagar to depute a team of revenue officers to assess the losses suffered by the affected family and disburse compensation accordingly.
The MLA also directed PDD officials to replace the low-tension conductor wires with insulated aerial bunched cables wherever required in the area in order to minimize the damages in any such mishap in the future.